Leaving on a Jet Plane

The journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step, or in my case, a 6 hour drive to Chicago. With the help of my parents, we made it there safely and with plenty of time to spare. I even convinced them to take a unplanned detour to the Tippecanoe battlefield memorial! It was a fun spot to stretch our legs and bone up on some history, and set a good precedent for what I would be doing in Berlin. We met up with our friends the Pospisils, who had kindly agreed to drive us to O’Hare. But I couldn’t leave Chicago without dinner, so we had some deep dish pizza from Giradorno’s. soon, I had left my parents. gone through security, and was waiting at the gate.
The flight from Chicago to Istanbul was not as bad as I was expecting. I flew Turkish Airlines on a Boeing 777-300ER, and would fly them again in a heartbeat. Complimentary pillows, blankets, slippers, earplugs, and an eyemask. A great selection of movies, and two great meals. Most of the flight I slept, but I did watch If I Stay (in German, with English subtitles), and Jupiter Ascending. I also enjoyed the fact that I could watch the status of the flight as we traveled. One thing I found interesting is that when we deplaned in Istanbul, we got off on the tarmac and were taken by shuttle to the terminal. I had a brief scare in Istanbul, as the gate for my flight to Berlin changed and they didn’t make an announcement for it. I didn’t realize this until an announcement was made that changed another flight to our gate. I made it to the new gate in plenty of time, as the flight to Berlin was late boarding. I thought that with such a short flight, we wouldn’t get any food, but they managed to cram dinner, drinks, and coffee in that two and a half hour slot.
Landing in Berlin was smooth, and once again we deplaned on the tarmac and took a shuttle to terminal. I got my passport stamped and headed out to the taxis. I was a little nervous, because the hotel closed at 11:00 and the plane had landed later that originally planned. I found a taxi, and took one of the biggest leaps of faith I have ever made. I had no clue where the hotel was in relation to the airport, which streets we should take, and even what direction we headed. But, I made it ok, got checked in, showered, brushed my teeth, and fell asleep to the sound of Berlin traffic.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s